We LOVE WinCo at our house. Those of you lucky enough to live near a WinCo Foods are special. Those of you who life near one but never shop there are... well... ridiculous. Here's the thing, WinCo Foods is a GREAT resource for those of us trying to feed our families on a budget. No where in town will you find cheaper deals on EVERYTHING. I mean EVERYTHING. The only exceptions here are diapers, wipes, and formula which I buy at Costco (when there is a coupon!). I cannot tell you how much $$ I save on a regular basis because I choose to drive an extra 20 minutes into Eagle to shop at the cleanest & nicest best WinCo in the valley. It is worth it.
I tried the coupon craze thing, but here is what I learned. You CANNOT buy healthy food with coupons. Yes, you can use them for toiletries, bathroom items, cleaning supplies, laundry supplies, etc. But anything you are putting in your mouth for consumption that you used a coupon for is most likely HIGHLY PROCESSED. I tried. For over a year I tried. I even went to couponing classes and asked questions. I asked them, "What if I don't want to buy a bunch of processed junk for my family? What if I only buy fresh, perishable food? How will couponing help me? Oh, girl! You should have seen the eye-daggers thrown my way! I had just unconsciously insulted every single woman in there. They looked at me like I was farting ontop of their sacred coupon binders while sticking my tongue out and crossing my eyes. They were not impressed with my late-20-something appearance and healthier-than-thou attitude. I meant no harm. I really wanted to know. I thought I was missing some secret nugget!
So I ventured out on my own, cutting coupons sifting through website, running out of paper, getting cramps in my hands from scissors. Bottom line. It didn't work for me. I was spending waaaay too much time getting ready to shop and waaaay too much time trying to find my 'coupon items' that my kids were going berzerck at the grocery store.What I realized is even with a coupon, the name-brand items are still more expensive than the generic kind AT WINCO. I stress this because if you shop at other grocery stores, this will not be the case. Again, the reason I stick with WinCo. Their 'generic' is ridiculously cheaper than any name-brand item on sale, there is really no comparison. Let me say, though. I am NOT a name-brand snob. I actually prefer generic and even bulk because knowing how much $$ I saved makes it so much sweeter. If you are a name-brand snob, well... stick with couponing. I can't help you.
Knowing all of this, WinCo RARELY ever has store coupons. Their prices are so cheap and they keep it that way because they don't spend money on advertising or fancy smancy anything. It is a big, giant warehouse and you have to bag your own groceries. Yep. You do. But in case you forgot, you are saving money, so MAN UP sister and put those bagging skills to good use!
The one valuable lesson I learned in all of my couponing craze is to stock up when you find a good deal. Since you are going to buy an item anyway, you might as well buy more of it when its on sale instead of having to buy it at full-price when you need it. Here are the things we are stocking up on:
1/2 c. non-fat, plain greek yogurt
1/2 c. fresh blueberries
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Mix it all together and enjoy! Your quick snack just got you 244c. / 2g. fat / 18g. carbs / 40 g. protein
That's one powerful punch to get your body up and going!
Now, you know where I shop, but here is a quick run-down on the how. I keep in mind that we have a protein, carb and healthy fat in almost every meal throughout the day. I start with the easiest, carbs. Do we have plenty of veggies (peppers, spinach, lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, broccoli, tomatoes), potatoes (red or sweet), brown rice, whole wheat pasta? I inventory all our fresh fruit. What do we need, what to we have plenty of. I write down what we are lacking. How is our protein supply (chicken breast, tilapia, ground turkey, chicken sausage, eggs). Then I look at dairy (greek yogurt, yogurt for kids, cheeses, milk, etc.) Lastly, I look at all the extra stuff - garlic, coffee creamer, you get the picture. Bottom line, I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go to the grocery story without a plan. That would be ridiculous.
I typically spend ~ $120/week or 10 days on groceries for our family of 5. That may seem like a lot, that may seem like a little. This also includes all the household stuff as well. It amazing how much produce you can buy for the same or less than anything canned/frozen. It may not seem like we are saving all that much money, but we rarely go out to dinner too - which is where we really save. If I don't cook the food, I don't know what's in it. We save our "eating out" $$ for date nights, which are usually a cheat for us anyway (about every other week). Plus, I don't want to drive out everyone else in the restaurant with our crazy brood, so we just eat at home. But I promise!! Our food would give any gourmet restaurant a run for their money! We make some mighty-delicious grub so I don't really miss going out.
If this helps anyone out there, it is worth it! Remember, fresh food, is fresh food. I doesn't matter if it comes from a fancy grocery store or if you have to bag it yourself. What matters is what you do with it.
Don't forget to subscribe to my updates via email! Also, {Fit} Mom Diary is coming out with a YouTube channel with videos of recipes, meal prep, etc. Stay tuned!!
Great post! I love Winco as well :-) I wondered about your take on fresh produce co-ops like Bountiful Baskets. Other than a huge stash of potatoes I'm not sure what to do with, I have been really happy with the variety and $price$.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Thanks for letting me off the hook on the coupons!!
" like I was farting ontop of their sacred coupon binders while sticking my tongue out and crossing my eyes"
ReplyDeleteI LOL'd so loud I almost woke the baby!
I LOVE WinCo too and agree - anyone that doesn't shop there that can...is NUTS!
WinCo *FIST PUMP* (ok...I haz too much coffee)