Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A quick run-down of "meal prep"

I am busting out another day of meal prep today.  This occurs about once a week around our house and it ends up with an explosion (of sorts) of dishes, spices and soap suds.  I hate love meal prep.  I know it sets me up for success so that I have no excuse but to grab a healthy, already made meal instead of the tortilla chips and salsa that my body is craving.  Nope.  Saving that for Saturday, the BEST DAY OF THE WHOLE DAMN WEEK, my cheat meal day.  On the menu today, chicken, red potatoes, green beans and broccoli.  I know.  I can see you drooling as you read.  OK.  I know better.  I am not either.  Buuuuuut, my body needs this mix of carbs and proteins to be an efficient machine.  Right?  Riiiiiigghhtt. 

Regardless of how you feel about 'healthy eating', you should know that your food is only as boring and bland as you make it.  If its gross, well, its your own damn fault!  Here are some tips to help make this 'healthy food' a little easier to swallow.

1. Use LOTS of seasoning.  Find out what flavors you like - asian, mexican, italian - and try to use those flavors in what you make.  Don't be afraid to experiment. 
2. Don't over-cook.  The bain of every cook out there.  I can't tell you how many times I have bit into a dry-ass piece of chicken.  It was seasoned well, but nothing, I mean nothing could help that poor lil' bird that was just killed a second time by my over-cooking.  No amount of liquid will make it any easier to get down either.  You might as well toss it.  Better luck next time.
3. If it turns out gross, read step one and two.  You just F'd up one or both of these. Are you sure you should be cooking? 

I can't tell you how many times I've messed food up.  Its a good thing it was healthy otherwise our chocolate lab would have a serious weight issue.  Try something small and if it works, give a larger batch a go.  Then you know you won't be tossing $20 worth of chicken out to the dog or the trash.

Here was my meal prep last week.  My lil' buddy was off to the side, having a hey-day and my poor 8-year-old got a lashing at the end.  Be prepared...  Damn kids!  ;-)  But, that is life around here and I am sure there is more than one who can relate! 


What you need:
oven pre-heated to 400 degrees
2 baking dishes
aluminum foil
frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Mrs. Dash
Salt
Cooking spray
red potatoes
ranch seasoning packet
patience

**Bake potatoes for ~20 min.  Chicken for ~30 min. then remove foil.** 
Got distracted by kids & gave the wrong times.  You will end up with #2 and and very excited chocolate lab.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your writing, and videos!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute!!! So food network style!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Feel free to leave feedback for me. Please subscribe to my updates via email and add yourself as a follower. Love me some {Fit} Mom followers!