Friday, June 15, 2012

What a Difference a Year Makes!










I started this in June of 2011.  I was 8 weeks post-baby, 167lbs. and 29% body fat.  That means I had nearly 50lbs. of fat on my body!  That's a lot junk in my trunk!  Now, I am 138lbs. and 16% body fat.  That means I lost over 26lbs. of pure fat.  Well, of course I did because God know I didn't have much muscle to begin with!  You can see my progress was very slow over the past 12 months, but nonetheless present.  Anyone who says you can transform in 12 weeks is expecting you to make drastic changes.  I didn't start making those kinds of changes until February/March of this year.  Up until that point, I was just eating sorta clean and working out ~ 3x per week (not very heavy).  My stomach still needs some work and I have large pockets of deep, marbled fat all throughout my legs (thank you, genetics, you suck!) but I know I have changed.

If you are like me, I am sure you are examining each and every picture and comparing it to the next.  I know you are.  It ok.  I promise. There are changes.  Even if you don't really see them.  Get me drunk enough and I will show you my guns or have you feel my super-solid quadriceps.  :)  The point is, I know I am different.

I write this hoping to let others know that change does not happen overnight.  You didn't get to the current state you are in that way, so how do you expect to come out of it? I wasn't in good shape before I got pregnant.  I did get back to my previously "normal" state by the picture of the red top/black pants.  But I wanted better than that.  So I kept going!  I have gotten this far with my body but I am SUPER EXCITED to see how much farther I can take it.  I LOVE muscle and I love feeling/seeing/using my muscles each and every day.

My excitement has lead me to hire a trainer (all the above I did completely on my own!).  My intention is to actually compete in a Figure Show in late September.  I know I can stay at "healthy" on my own, just doing what I have done.  But it did take me one year to get to here.  I want to see some faster progress and some muscle separation.  Let the HIIT and carb-cycling begin!  I will take you along this roller coaster of a journey with me because - why the hell not?  I am transparent about everything else, from my bowel movements to my libido (though I promise they are not connected).  To date I am approx. 14-15 weeks away, depending on which show I do (undecided on that part).  Since I am paying for the expertise, I probably won't share all the gory details of my plan-of-attack, but I will share my feelings, trials, temptations, shitty moods, shitty pants... you get the idea.  I will be one hell of a mess.  A complete "shitstorm" as my 2 year old, Maia, would say. (back story is totally blog-worthy & will be posted, soon!)

In addition to competing, I am enrolled in a M.S. of Exercise Science program through Cal U.  I know.  I know.  Shoot me.  Or rather shoot my husband and my kids.  WhatthehellamIthinking??  Apparently I really like self-torture because raising 3 crazy kids, teaching 3rd grade, taking care of a house and a husband and trying to do it all while being healthy just wasn't enough for me.  Lets throw in some 2-a-day workouts, late night essay reading and writing and limited carbohydrates and food choices.  Oh, and who needs sleep because NO ONE in this house rarely gets a good night and that is always stellar for everyone's moods.

Holy shit.

What have I gotten myself into.

****If any of you know my husband, please check in with him oh... maybe September 1st to make sure he is a) still alive b) hasn't beat the living sh*t out of anything or c) is not a borderline alcoholic.****  All of the above are very viable possibilities.  Thanks ahead for the intervention.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you girl! You are inspiring for sure. I have been working out consistently for about 1.5 years and have maintained my weight loss mostly with Insanity dvds and a few others here and there. Lately I have lost my motivation and have really started to feel...well gross bascially. I am looking forward to your new blog and how to "survive" being a wife, mom, and teacher and doing it all with a fit body and mind. Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anza,

      Stick with it girl! We are in this together!!

      Delete
    2. You look amazing. I have been following your post. I have spent the last year taking off the 30 lbs that needed a home. @ my goal weight now and working on trying to get everything toned. Please keep posting. Your pictures show me women can have muscles and still be very sexy!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Feel free to leave feedback for me. Please subscribe to my updates via email and add yourself as a follower. Love me some {Fit} Mom followers!