Sunday, July 8, 2012

Let's Talk About Poop

because I already do in every post, so I might as well keep it up.  My life is completely dictated by bodily functions.  Completely.  Mine, my children's, my dog's, the neighbor down the street...  OK, well, not that much.

I write this because though everyone does it, we don't really understand the power of it.  As I have gone through this transformation over the past year or so, I am slapped in the face time and time again by how incredibly remarkable the human body is.  Truly remarkable.  Every system down to every cell has been designed to function in a very specific way, all swirling together to make this magical thing of living, breathing, eating, digesting, growing, recovering, and functioning actually happen.  I am in AWE.  Above all else, it humbles me to realize how incredibly intelligent and organized and detailed our Creator is to put together such complex creatures. WOW.  This might be why I am so passionate about learning these things because I find it sooooo interesting. 

That being said, I have learned through my own experience (and lack) of shit how vital this system and function is to our overall health.  It is gross and smelly and messy and down right disgusting.... but.... it serves a very real and valid purpose in our bodies.  Over the past 30 years (not including the previous 1), I loaded my body down with it.  I consumed it, drank it, breathed it, poured it over me, rubbed my hair in it, rolled in it, nuzzled my snout in it... oh wait... I am thinking of my dog... Anyway, my point is that even though I didn't eat McDonald's for three meals/day over the past 3 decades, I slowly over time added to the shit that was building up in my body.  We all do.  It has sat there, for days on end, not moving no matter how strongly my pelvic floor worked to move it. It was stubborn as... shit.

What has been different about these past now 13 months is using other food to filter all that shit out.  Let me paint a picture.  I consume, on average 1 gallon of liquids every day.  I also eat roughly 5lbs. of food each day.  Over the course of a week, (do the math...), that is 7 gallons of liquids, and 35lbs. of food.  Now, my body uses most of this fuel to feed itself.  What it doesn't use it either stores or it gets rid of.  The oatmeal or broccoli or sweet potatoes with skin on work to help get rid of the stuff I don't need.  They are rich in fiber.  They are foods that were incredibly designed (here we go again... a moment of awe...) to serve a purpose in our bodies as we consume them.  I won't even get into the micro nutrients we get from all these "clean" foods because you didn't subscribe to this for a biochemistry lesson.  You want to be humored.  BRING ON THE SHITSTORM!

I digress...

Take a minute to think about your own food consumption.  You may not drink as much water as I do, but what you do drink... what is in it?  Water is water... it is stored as water then through a perfectly designed filtration system, it picks up other toxins as is goes through our bodies and is exited as... well... you know.  Depending on how often you "flush" this water through your body, determines the toxicity of your urine.  So... what the hell is my point?  If you are consuming oh... 52 oz. of diet coke each day, you are putting more toxins in your body than you are filtering out.  What does that add up to?  Shit.  In your body.  That can't get out.  It gets stuck there.  Around your belly, moving its way to your back, then your ass and the underside of your arms.  It finds those cracks and crevasses and makes a comfy little home.  And that's just what you are drinking!!!

Let's talk food for a second.  I don't think I consume an abnormal amount of food for a woman my size, it just comes in different forms.  So, think about what you eat on a regular basis... That bowl of cereal for breakfast, that turkey sandwich with chips and a pop for lunch, a steak with baked potato and salad coated with salad dressing for dinner and maybe a couple cookies or scoops of ice cream for dessert.  Sounds tasty, yes, but here's the issue.  Whatever your body doesn't use for fuel it either stores or gets rid of it.  If you aren't eating things to help you "get rid of it", then guess what... it is stored.  Either in the same little cushions around your body or it just sits there... in your intestines... waiting... and waiting... and rotting...

Your intestines are pretty remarkable things too.  If they need, they will continue to pull "nutrients" from the food now stuck inside them as needed.  So lets say you are like most women and only "get rid of things" once or twice a week.  Well, lets be real.  We know you aren't leaving a 10lb. deuce in the toilet.  Its more likely to be deer droppings and took the same amount of work as when you delivered a baby.  You were breathing and pushing and counting... and only got a poop out smaller than what your kids leave on a daily basis.  But its been 6 days since you last went and that's all you got.  So what's happening with the rest of that food you ate over the past 6 days.  Where is that?  Think about it.

I write this not to make you feel bad about what you eat or don't eat.  I am just putting some honest thought about human waste.  Pay attention to your body.  How do you feel after eating certain things?  How often do you go to the bathroom throughout the day?  What color is your urine?  What is going to happen to the food you eat?  Did you consume anything the help the process along?  BE IN CONTROL OF YOUR BODY.  You know what to do.  So drink more water, damn it.

June 4th                     June 17th                     July 8th
OK. I am off my soap box.  Here is some hard evidence my body is really filtering out all that shit I have been working to get out.  I am diverting your attention to my abdomen.  The fact that my abs are beginning to show is a sign of multiple things.  A) I am pooping on a regular basis.  B) My cortisol levels are stabilized (a whole other post about stress and your belly fat) C) I have not had a single alcoholic beverage for 3 weeks and though my sanity is not happy, my belly is.

3 comments:

  1. I never thought I would enjoy reading about poop so much! And I have to say it has opened my eyes to how much goes in and comes out...guess I will go get a bottle of water :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm off to get a big glass of water as well! Thanks for the poop talk....oops I mean pep talk, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your blog and love it! This post is awesome. It's nice to hear it straight from another woman what women usually don't talk about. Definitely gave me a new perspective on poop and all that goes in and out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Feel free to leave feedback for me. Please subscribe to my updates via email and add yourself as a follower. Love me some {Fit} Mom followers!