Sunday, September 2, 2012

Getting My Sh!t Together

...sort of.

Its back to school time and that means I am back at work.  Those who don't know, I am a teacher.  That is my bill-paying gig.  Only it doesn't really pay any bills because I teach in Idaho.  OK.  No ranting.  This blog is not about education, education reform, teacher depreciation, or anything related to with my J-O-B.  I am only bringing this up to give a little insight into my life.  Recently, I have heard a lot of comments from some incredible ladies, wondering "How do you do it all."  Honestly, I don't.  Here's why:

After the birth of my son, I made the switch from teaching full-time to part-time.  That means instead of teaching 5 days per week, staying til 6 or 7 one night a week and coming in at least one weekend a month, I am down to 2-3 days per week, one late night a month, and ideally no weekend.  Good luck with that.  I now have the luxury of time.  Well, I'm supposed to have the luxury of time.  We all know that is impossible to have as a luxury, but I like to think I do so I don't feel so stressed.

Last fall, when back-to-school time came, I distinctly remember feeling like the wheels were about to fall off.  I was overwhelmed, lost, sleep-deprived and stressed.  I had a 4 month old, a barely 2 year old and a second grader all used to having mom home for the past four months to be anything and everything they needed.  Most of the time I failed at it, my daughter was late to school 14x that year (at the school I worked at!), I was late most every day and my poor students didn't get what they deserved.  I survived and so did everyone else, but I never want to feel that way again.  I was trying to get control of myself, my body, my family, my house, my classroom - basically my life.  It was a big year of transitions.  I learned A LOT about what not to do.  Thanks, life, for kicking my ass.

This year is different - I want it to be different.  My daughter is in my class this year and as her mom, I have HIGH expectations.  As her teacher, it intimidates the HELL out of me!  I want to be the teacher she needs and deserves.  So the bar has been raised.

What I have learned about myself through all of these physical, emotional and psychological transformations is that I NEED A PLAN.  If I have a plan to follow, I know that in the midst of chaos, there is order.  I cling to that order like no tomorrow, put my head down and follow the plan.  So that's what I have done this time.

Actually, I have made a plan every year but never have I followed it.  I organize it and make it look all pretty, print it out, hang it up and it just sits there.  On the side of the fridge.  Doing nothing but reminding me how I am NOT following the plan.  Not this year.  Not this time.

Here is my plan:
  • I made a list of all the items around the house that needed to get done over the course of a week.  A real, honest list that and the end of the week, I could look back and say, "Yes, my house is clean and well-taken care of."
    • All household chores were put on the list with the number of times they needed completed during the week (i.e. vacuum downstairs 3x, vacuum upstairs 1x)
  • I listed out all the activities our family has during the week
    • Olivia's dance schedule, Maia's preschool schedule, when the kids are at daycare, when I am at work, etc.
  • I listed the days I am exercising along with the body part to train.
    • Scheduling this makes it a priority.  Its on the list, so it has to get done.  Every week.
  • I listed the dinners planned for the week.
    • I am trying something new this time by keeping the main dish the same on a set day during the week (i.e. steak on Sunday, Left-overs on Tuesday).
  • I built the weekly plan from the ground up - starting with work, then activities, then household items.
    • On busy days, I kept the household chores to a minimum.  On days off, I added more.
    • I also have "every day" items and "monthly items".
We are only the second week in and I haven't "executed" the plan because I worked the entire week last week.  So this weekend was spent catching up.  I am looking forward to getting on track because, as with my workouts, it feels really good to have a sense of accomplishment!  Here is the planner I used along with a blank one.  Feel free to use them in your own life - if they help you get your sh!t together.

Desilet Weekly Family Planner


Blank Weekly Family Planner

On another note, if you are looking to get LOTS MORE HELP getting your sh!t together, the time has FINALLY ARRIVED!

Healthy Living 101

Go online, register and meet me on Thursday, September 27th @ 6:30 for a great class!  You will learn a lot about your body, the food you eat, how to cook, how to shop... the list goes on and on.  I guarantee you will walk away with tools you can immediately put to use in your own, everyday life.  Hope to see you there!

Don't forget to subsribe to my blog via email for the latest updates.  I will be adding **some** of the documents from my class as the time gets closer.  But if you want more, you will have to come! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my blog! Feel free to leave feedback for me. Please subscribe to my updates via email and add yourself as a follower. Love me some {Fit} Mom followers!