Its that time of year when everyone commits to making a better version of themselves that last about as long as... well... I can think of lots of things. A bacon guacamole cheeseburger on my cheat day, a HIIT cardio session, a quickie, a gas pump, a weekly visit to Costco {wait... that may be longer...}. My point is that regardless of our good intentions, the fact that it is {almost} a new year should really have no bearing on our desire to be better. Why then? Why not now? Why does it have to be January 1st - or in many cases January 2nd because January 1st is not only New Year's Day but also National Hangover Day. You didn't know that?
I could get into the deep philosophical rhetoric or psychological torment behind these reasons. But I'll be honest... I was leg day today and I really don't have it in me to type that much. I need more carbs.
Here is my point: The desire to be better is in all of us. The only ones who actually become better are the ones with the mental fortitude to overcome challenges, whatever they may be, and push through. It is not a physical matter. It is mental. You want to quit smoking; You want to lose weight; You want to be a better spouse/friend/parent/etc.; You want to make a career change; You simply want more out of life. All of these things come with their own challenges. Some are physical, some are mental, some are emotional/spiritual. But at the root of all these desires is a single common thread. The actually achieve these things, it requires more internal strength than anything else. You have to decide you will be whatever it is you are working towards. You have to already be that in your head. You have to commit.
I was at the gym today and witness a moment like this. There was a young girl (I am guessing a sophomore in high school, based on her shirt) who was attempting, for what looked like the FIRST TIME EVER to work out. Her boyfriend was trying to help her, but she struggled. In one single moment, this girl completely shut down. She decided in her mind she couldn't do it. In between my stiff-leg dead lift sets, I watched her go from eager, to embarrassed, to defeated. In less than 5 minutes. I couldn't bare it. I knew that feeling. I had been there. I went over to her {as she cried on her boyfriend's shoulder} and tried to give her a pep talk.
Can I just say, from one girl to another... Don't give up. Don't let this machine beat you. You are here, trying something new, which is AWESOME. There are so many better things you can do than this dumb machine to work your legs (I referred to the leg press she couldn't operate). If you need help, I would be happy to show you. Try that thing there (pointing to the Smith Machine). That will be awesome for you legs and your butt if you do squats. Its much easier than this stupid thing who no one can figure out, by the way. That's why no one was using it... But don't get defeated. You can do this!!
I walked away, after a "thank you" and watched her boyfriend try and motivate her some more. And you know what? She did it! She moved onto squats and did great! I felt so proud of her!! She could have let a big hunk of equipment get the best of her, give her a complex about being "too weak" to lift weights or whatever. But she didn't! She tried again!That is really what this is all about. Not letting some dumb machine (or boss, or mental block, or whatever dumb excuse we have clung too) beat us! We are better than that! We are capable of remarkable things! We just have to give ourselves the opportunity to rise to the challenge instead of backing away.
So here you are. On Friday, December 28th. Three days before the new year. What are you going to do? Wait for "the" day to change. Wait for tomorrow? F&^k tomorrow. Now. Decide NOW. Look at yourself in the mirror and DECIDE. Who are you and what are you capable of becoming?
So I am throwing myself out there. It is time to commit. I will do this.
1. You need to commit to me for three months. You don't have to pay for three months all at once, just one month at a time. If at anytime, you are unhappy with your progress or results, you are done! No more months.
2. If you are local, you need to sign up for my Healthy Living 101 class. I linked the info. Without a solid foundation of understanding, you will never be able to stand on your own, without me. I want to empower you to take your health and fitness in your own hands. Eventually, I don't want you to need me {except maybe as a resource... or friend!}
3. I will not take more than 5 clients at this time. {first come, first served} However, I will screen you because, lets be honest, I don't want to waste either your money or my time. After our first one-on-one consult, I will know if you are really ready.
4. You must follow both the workout plan and the nutrition plan. They are both incremental pieces to a healthier you.
I will tailor my plans for what you need. If you need me to take you grocery shopping, I will. If you need me to help clean out your cupboards and fridge, I will. But I will only put as much into this as you do. Remember, I have three children, a husband, graduate school, a third grade classroom, and a national figure competition, all of which need my attention. I am ready for the challenge, but are you?
If you are ready to commit, the cost is $100/month. This includes a personalized nutrition and exercise plan, based on what you like and where you are at. If you are local, we will meet for an initial consultation and I will take you through your first workout (at your gym), so you understand the level of intensity you should be training at, follow proper form, etc. If you are out of town, we will do a video chat.
I am willing to commit to you... Are YOU willing to commit to YOU? Email me if it is time.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for checking out my blog! Feel free to leave feedback for me. Please subscribe to my updates via email and add yourself as a follower. Love me some {Fit} Mom followers!